Winter is a time for snow, cold weather, and cozy fires. We love it! But to have a wonderful winter, you should prepare your roof now. The right preparation work before winter will save you from unexpected repairs later on down the line. In this blog post, we’ll share a checklist of things you should do to make sure your roof is ready for cold weather.
How To Take Care Of Your Roof Before Winter
The last thing you want to do in winter is to worry about your roof; that’s why it’s so important to take care of it before so that it’s not something that’s driving you crazy later. To prepare well for winter, you should consider these tips:
- Check for water leaks: If you’ve had water leaks in the past, it’s time to check again. Look inside your attic for any new signs of moisture or mold and fix them as soon as possible; this will prevent ice dams from forming underneath shingles later on down the line.
- Check your attic’s ventilation: Without proper ventilation, ice dams will form and cause your roof to get damaged. Ensure that you have enough vents in the attic so that there’s good airflow; this way, it’ll be easier for heat to escape upwards during wintertime. Also, check if your attic vents are clear of debris and dust so that there’s no blockage.
- Check for animal damage: If squirrels, birds, or other animals have been able to get into your attic before, make sure you check again. Ensure that all the vents and holes on your roof are covered with heavy-duty mesh, so they don’t chew through it.
- Clear your gutters: Clogged gutters can cause water damage and ice dams on the roof, so be sure to clear them out and make sure the water can flow freely. If you have a pitched roof, it’s even more important to clear them out; this way, snow won’t be able to get stuck and cause ice dams like before.
- Check for roof damage: Look if there are patches or loose or missing shingles since these areas can be vulnerable. If there’s roof damage, make sure you look for roof repair as soon as possible because if not addressed on time, it’ll cause even more problems.
Get Ready For Winter With Best Roofing & Construction
Now that you know how important it is to take care of your roof before winter, you should look for a residential roofing company in Grand Rapids, MI, that can provide you with reliable roofing services. At Best Roofing & Construction, our professionals are experienced and trained to help you solve roofing issues on time.
We’ll be able to provide fast, effective roof services, like roof replacement or repairs, that will last for years! For more information on how we can help with your pre-winter checklist, don’t hesitate to contact us!