Are you looking for a new roofing system? You’re probably an owner considering metal roofing for the first time or maybe replacing an existing shingle roof. Either way, understanding the pros and cons of metal roofing versus shingle roofing is necessary to make the best decision for your home and budget.
Metal roofing is a type of roof designed to last a lifetime and is also environmentally friendly. Shingle roofing, on the other hand, is much cheaper than metal roofing and is considered a good option if your home is in an area with no extreme weather. This article will deeply analyze all the pros and cons; keep reading for more!
Metal Roofing Vs. Shingle Roofing
- Energy efficiency: Metal roofs have a higher reflectance, which helps keep your home cooler during hot days, and metal roofing systems are also 100% recyclable, making metal roofs a great environmentally friendly choice
- Stylish and fashionable: Metal roofs offer a wide variety of color options, and metal can be painted to match any home’s exterior.
- Durability and longevity: Metal roofs are designed to last at least 50 years and require little maintenance.
- Low maintenance costs: These roofs require little to no maintenance, reducing the cost over time, and they even can last longer.
- Higher costs of installation and materials: Metal roofs are more expensive than shingles, and metal roof installation can also cost a bit more
- Potential noise problems: Metal roofs may be noisy when rain or hail falls on metal roofs due to metal’s higher sound transmission rate.
- Weight: Metal roofs are heavier than shingles, so they may require additional reinforcement to the existing roof structure to support metal roofs.
- Cheaper than other roofing materials: Shingles are a popular choice for roof replacement due to their low cost.
- Lower costs of installation: Asphalt shingles are much easier to install than metal roofs due to their lighter weight and lower installation costs
- Not as durable as other roofing materials: Asphalt shingles can last anywhere from 15-30 years, depending on the materials used, so metal roofs may be a better choice for longer-term investments.
- Higher maintenance costs: Shingles require regular maintenance, such as cleaning and replacing missing or damaged materials, to maximize your roof’s lifespan.
- Costs over time: While asphalt shingles are initially cheaper, metal roofs may be a more cost-effective choice for long-term investments, as metal roofs require less maintenance and can last longer.
- No energy savings: Metal roofs reflect the sun’s rays, keeping your home cooler and providing energy savings, which asphalt shingles do not offer.
Let Best Roofing And Construction Handle Your Roofing Needs!
Now that you know the differences between metal and shingle roofing, it is time to consider your budget and decide. We at Best Roofing And Construction are a team of roofing professionals that can assist you in replacing your current roof or installing a new system for the first time.
With over 20 years of experience in the roofing industry, we know how to handle shingle and metal roofing projects. From start to finish, we’ll provide you with a high-quality installation and timely maintenance service. Don’t hesitate to contact Best Roofing And Construction for the best roofing solutions in town!